Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In the Works: Habitat Mixtape Quilt

Now that I can be open about my quilting, I have allowed myself to start planning my next quilt.  I thought I had decided on a pattern from Elizabeth Hartman's The Practical Guide to Patchwork.  Then I fell in love with Jay McCarroll's new line, Habitat.  (Check out True Up's two part interview with Jay about Habitat: Part One, Part Two.)  Because some of the prints are on the bigger side, I decided that the original pattern that I had selected just wasn't going to work because it was comprised of mostly small pieces.  So I decided to use the Mixtape pattern instead, which uses some larger pieces.

Habitat has three colorways: pastoral, city, and desert.  I couldn't decide which one I liked the best, so I decided to incorporate all three into the quilt.  I got two fat quarter bundles from Spool and a few half yard cuts from Pink Chalk Fabrics because there were a few prints in the desert colorway that I wasn't thrilled with.  Aren't the bundled up fat quarters adorable?  Spool is definitely on their game!


I love how they look all stacked up.


Now for a better look at all of the prints.  So far, my favorites are the pixelated print and the floral with polka dots.




I'm not sure what color sashing or border I'm going to go with yet.  I think I'll have to bring all of these with me to an actual brick and mortar store and hold them up to different solids.  I'm leaning toward something lighter, possibly white, since there are a bunch of patterns.  Any suggestions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.