My pal Sarah is getting married in September and she’s giving her bridesmaids jewelry as a gift. She asked me to whip up some jewelry pouches to give them and of course I said yes! And of course it took me months to get around to making them. Unfortunately, black velvet isn't the easiest fabric to photograph and I ended up with the worst photos yet taken on my camera. You'll have to use your imagination a bit.
On Sunday, with a Harry Potter marathon on in the background, I was determined to make the pouches. A few weeks back and armed with a 50% coupon, I picked up some black velvet at Joann. A jewelry pouch is easy enough to sew, but I used the Purl Bee jewelry pouch pattern for guidance. The only issue I ran into was that the velvet shifted a bit, but since I was sewing jewelry pouches and not a fancy garment, you can’t tell the difference. I ran into trouble when the trim that I bought for the cinching strings wouldn’t weave nicely through the pouches. It was close to closing time at Joann, so I took to my embroidery floss stash and improvised.
After weaving the floss through the pouches, it looked a little sad just hanging next to the pretty velvet, so I added some braiding on the ends to fancy things up a bit. It still doesn’t look as nice as I had imagined the fancy trim to look, but it does the job. And best of all, the bride was happy. High fiving a million angels!
I admit that I am the worst when it comes to completing projects for friends. I have one more time-sensitive project that I promised for a friend, which I hope to at least start this weekend thanks to a 50% off coupon that I got in my email from Joann. Wish me luck!