Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pretty Things Thursday: Nerding Out on Harry Potter

In honor of the final Harry Potter film being released this week, I share with you my letter of acceptance to Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

You read that correctly.  A couple of birthdays ago—only two days before Harry’s birthday, I might add, we are fellow Leos—I  received a package from Hogwart’s with the attached envelope.

Hogwarts Letter Envelope

You see that Harry and I have more in common, as his original letter was addressed to The Cupboard under the Stairs, and mine was addressed to The Couch in the Living Room, where I am found during much of the time that I’m in the house.  Otherwise, I’m in my sewing chair.  Look how exact Nick, I mean, Hogwarts, made my envelope to Harry’s!


Upon opening the envelope, which was sealed in wax (!), I found this letter from Professor Minerva McGonagall.

Hogwarts Acceptance Letter

It says: “We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  

Please find enclosed all necessary books and equipment for the coming term, compliments of a few faculty members and housemates.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall”

When I opened the box, I found a bunch of individually wrapped supplies for five of my classes at Hogwarts!

Course Letters

If you haven’t realized by now, Nick and I are extremely nerdy, and Nick puts tons of effort into my birthday and Christmas gifts each year.  In fact, he puts tons of effort into any gift that he gets me any time of the year.  He is definitely the best.

My supplies were for Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, Muggle Studies, Potions, and, of course, Defense Against the Dark Arts.  To my delight, I got a letter from Neville, Hagrid, Professor Slughorn, Hermoine, and Harry himself! 

Wasn’t that an awesome birthday gift?  It was like a gift in a gift.

Now that we’re sadly at the end of the Harry Potter movie series, I have decided that Luna and Neville are my favorite characters.  Even though we’ve only known Luna for a few books/movies, I love that she does her own thing and doesn’t really care what others think about her.  For instance, how awesome is this hat?


She also has great style.  Check out this coat (and the glasses, obvs)!


Neville I have loved since the very first book/film when he had trouble keeping track of Trevor, his pet toad.  He has great faces.  One of my favorites of all time is his adorable look of shock when Dumbledore awards him house points for trying to get Harry, Ron, and Hermoine to stay in their dorm where they belong in the first book/movie.

Image Source


He has a great sense of humor too.  In the first book/film, Neville’s broom goes nuts and he ends up hanging off of a gargoyle on the side of Hogwarts.  In the second book/film, Cornish Pixies hang Neville on a chandelier.  He then says the choice line, “Why is it always me?”  HA!  I think my very favorite Neville line is from the Goblet of Fire, when, after partying late into the night, he arrives back at the dorms when everyone else is asleep.  Harry wakes up when Neville gets in, and Neville says, “I just got in.  Me!”  Aw Neville, we love you.  That movie also has the great Neville line, “Oh my god, I killed Harry Potter!”  He’s the best.  And he gets pretty badass in the last few movies.  I'm excited to see him wielding the Sword of Gryffindor in the last one!

Image Source

I could clearly nerd out with Harry Potter for hours, but I’ll stop there in case (horrors upon horrors) some of you aren't Harry Potter fans.  Who is your favorite Harry Potter character?

4 comments:

  1. I love Luna and Neville, too! Of course, I love everyone, but Mr. Weasley is one of my favorites, as is Lupin. I can't wait for the last movie!! But I'm also pretty sure I'll cry like a baby in the theater... it can't be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I have not read nor watched Harry Potter? When the books first came out I was working abroad, in a pretty rural part of Central America, so there was no way of getting my hands on them. I just never caught up. I think it’s great that your husband went through all the trouble to make this very special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not too late, Andrea! My husband is reading the books for the first time now-- he loves the movies, but he just doesn't read anything ever (except the occasional comic book). He's read four books in a week, I think, and I honestly don't think I've ever seen him reading for recreation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely not too late! I didn't read the books until after they had all come out. I spent one summer reading all of them back to back--which I highly recommend. My husband read the last 2 books and he is very happy he did because it helped fill in the details that the movies needed to skip.

    I haven't seen the last movie yet. I'm so sad that it's ending!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.