I had intended to finish up my Passport dress this weekend, but I ran into a snag. My sewing instructor and I decided to add a full lining to the dress instead of using the facings that the pattern called for, which has sufficiently confused me. I have the lining and the outside fabric attached, but I’m confused about how I finish the sleeves. I decided to put the Passport aside until sewing class tonight and sewed up a muslin of New Look 6557 instead.
As you can see, it is quite large. My measurements were all over the place with this one, so I decided to use a combination of my bust and waist measurements when choosing the size to cut out. I chose a size 12, which called for a slightly smaller waist than I have, but a slightly larger bust. I’m not sure if I chose the wrong size or if there is a lot more ease built into the pattern than I thought, but the result is very loose in the bust and waist areas. I’m going to bring it with me to class tonight to figure out if I should take in the size 12 or if I should just whip up a new muslin in a size 10. Either way, I'm going to take the length up a bit, most likely so it hits right at my knees.
The good news is that the dress went together really easily, it’s flattering, and I get to wear a regular bra with it. Hurray on all accounts!