Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Works in Progress: Start of 2012

Here it is: my big shamefully long works in progress list.  I thought I would lay everything out there in hopes of widdling down this very long list.

Knitted Blanket
Let’s start with the oldest project in my pile, the knitted blanket.  I am so excited that I finally finished knitting all of the panels, so the only thing left to do is to block the panels and then piece them together.  Never mind that I don’t yet know how to do either of these steps, but I will figure it out.  I really wish I had discovered this Super Easy Baby Blanket before now.  Then I would be finishing up the project and not have to piece anything!

Knit Panels for Afghan



Art Kit
I cut the pieces for the Art Kit from the Craft Hope book while making an art kit for my nephew last Christmas.  My original intention was to donate it to a local charity since that is what the Craft Hope book suggests.  I got a little behind on my gift making that year so I ended up pushing this to the side and then I never found an organization that would want such a donation.  I have no idea where or why I got these fabrics, but I think they’re super cute.  Don't you just love those ants?  Oh and that stray piece of cat hair on the zig zags (gah it's everywhere!).  I’m considering finishing this up and hosting a giveaway as a thank you to a lucky winner for reading my blog.  Stay tuned!

Art Kit Fabric


All-Day Tote
I’m pretty sure the pieces for the All-Day Tote from Lotta Jansdotter’s Simple Sewing have been cut out for at least as long as the Art Kit.  After discovering the pieces in my stash, I decided to add a long adjustable strap to the bag, but even with that, I think this bag will be quick and easy to complete.  I think I got both fabrics from the remnant bin from Joann, but who knows how long ago that was.  Sorry for the dark pic.  The outside fabric is a dark brown.

All-Day Tote Bag Fabric


Crepe Dress
I started working on the Colette Crepe dress last March and have made very little progress since because I haven’t picked it up since then!  In my defense, I had no idea how to fit a muslin after sewing it up and I needed a major small bust adjustment for this pattern.  I have received a few tips on fitting the bodice since then, so I hope to return to this dress soon because I originally wanted to wear it on Easter.  Hopefully I will be able to this year!  The pink is the body of the dress and the gray is for a waist sash.

Crepe Fabric


State Birds Quilt
I thought I would make some progress on this quilt while on our Great Western Adventure, but it still remains in the same state it was before we left.  Almost all of the 36 state birds are traced onto white linen and are waiting to be embroidered (some states use the same state bird, which is why there aren't 50). I originally had hoped to have this complete so we can use it on our bed this coming summer, but that definitely doesn’t look like it’s going to happen, so our bed will have to wait until Summer 2013.  That is, if the world doesn’t end in December.

Tracing State Birds onto Linen


Market Skirt
The Lisette Market Skirt has been partially finished since the end of September.  I had a good deal of it finished until I realized that I didn’t cut my pieces to match up the pattern on the fabric.  For a couple of days I considered just finishing it and calling it “good enough,” but my OCDness reared its ugly head and I decided that it was unacceptable in its current state.  I did some brief research on how to match up patterns, but I am still a little hazy about it.  I’m also not sure if I have enough fabric left to match up the pattern.  If I don’t, then I’ll have to make the decision to finish it like it is or rip it out and try and use the fabric for something else.  I’ll get back to this project when I’m feeling a little more adventurous.

Market Skirt Fabric


In the Night Kitchen Embroidery
Originally, this was to be a Christmas gift to Mr. Pinds.  Then I got honest with myself and realized that that wasn’t going to happen, so now it’s a project that we’re working on together.  We’ve been so busy since Christmas that we haven’t looked at it since I originally unveiled it!  I have a feeling that this is going to be a work in progress for a while.

In the Night Kitchen


Birthday Quilt for MaMotts
(Shh, family members!  This is super secret!)

My grandmother, who we call MaMotts, is turning 90 this March, so I thought it would be nice to make her a pretty quilt.  I didn’t want to make anything too modern, so I chose the Planetarium pattern from Elizabeth Hartman’s The Practical Guide to Patchwork.  I got a bunch of Aviary 2 charm packs in the Bark and Lilac colorways and have been going to town making hour glass blocks.  I spent a good chunk of Sunday doing this and I still have a long way to go.  The good news/bad news is that I won’t be working on this quilt for too long because we’re throwing a surprise birthday party for her in the beginning of February.  This is the largest quilt that I have made to date, so I hope the quilting goes smoothly!

The finished hour glass blocks are in the stack on the right.  The almost-finished hour glass blocks are in the stack on the left.  Yikes!

Quilt Blocks


New Look 6073 Cape
For this session of sewing class, we’re making capes.  I chose view C of New Look 6073, which includes toggle closures and a hood.  I took my very first trip down to Fabric Row in Philly (on 4th Street near Fitzwater) and went into about 6 different stores until I discovered the awesome wool section in the Pennsylvania Fabric Outlet.  They had a wide variety of colors, styles, and types of wool!  I went through a few different patterns before I decided on this fabric.  I’m not sure what lining I’m going to use yet, but I’m thinking something cozy that will add some warmth.

Cape Fabric

Of course Mr. Pinds and I swung by Jim's for some cheesesteaks for lunch, which is conveniently just a few blocks away from Fabric Row.  Seriously delicious.  I usually get mine double Whiz without (double the Cheez Whiz and without onions) and Mr. Pinds gets his double Whiz with (double the Cheez Whiz with onions).  We average about one cheesesteak a year, so I'm OK with how unhealthy this is.  It was delicious and totally worth it.  Did I mention it was delicious?  If you're in the Philadelphia area, Jim's is really the only acceptable place to go for a cheesesteak.  And the guys who work there are really nice too.  Be prepared to wait in a hefty line though.



Sewaholic Minoru Jacket
Now for the least complete project in my pile!  I only have the pattern pieces cut out but the muslin is prepped and ready to be cut.  The final version will be made up in a gray cotton twill with a cotton lining.  I’ll probably use a slippery fabric for the sleeves so my arms slide in easily, but I haven’t picked that up yet.  Tasia from Sewaholic is hosting a sew along that starts on Monday, so there’s still time for you to join in!

Sewaholic Minoru Fabric



So there they are, my whopping 10 in-progress projects.  I’m hoping that by linking this to WIP Wednesday on Freshly Pieced, I’ll be motivated to actually work on these instead of turning to something else mid-progress!

9 comments:

  1. wow, you've got quite a variety of projects going on. That Lisette skirt is going to be fantastic in that fabric. And your hourglass blocks are great! and seriously... now I want a cheesesteak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have so many projects going on! Beautiful, beautiful projects. I would probably have the same dilemma on the skirt - what a bummer! The skirt pattern is so cute, and the fabric is just beautiful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the fabric you've picked for the Minoru jacket - it's going to be super cute! As for blocking and stitching together the blanket, take a look at the "Stitch and Bitch" book (I bet your local library has a copy) for very easy to follow instructions on both these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've got so many fun projects in the works! You have such lovely taste! Good luck with the quilt for your grandmother-- it will be such a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stitch Parade Thanks for the tip! I know my library has that book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @gingermakes Thanks! I am going to need luck to get that quilt done in time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm gonna have to make a Jims run now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of interesting projects - I think the blanket will be gorgeous when it's sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm doing my research to figure out how to block and piece the panels together. I hope to get a good amount of that done this weekend!

      Delete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.