Friday, December 16, 2011

In the Night Kitchen Project

Remember when I used to post about things that I've actually made?  Don't worry, I've been a busy Christmas elf but since it's not Christmas yet, I haven't been able to share anything that I've made.  I should be able to start sharing some things next week, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, take a look at one of my works in progress.  I am recreating this illustration from In The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak for Mr. Pinds.

Image Source

It's one of his favorite illustrations from the book and we both agree that it's magical and would look great in our kitchen. I was going to make it for him as a surprise Christmas present, but I got so overwhelmed with my other projects and started to doubt my ideas for it that I caved in and shared it with him.  Good thing I did because he suggested a few changes to my original idea and I think the end product is going to look so much better!  Here is what we have so far, complete with curious kitty.

In the Night Kitchen

Ok, it looks a little crappy and sad right now.  The middle fabrics will eventually be covered by the buildings so I just used muslin as a filler in between the sky and the shelf that the milk is resting on.

The first change that I'm doing is substituting a darker blue for the sky so it actually looks like night.  When I picked out all of the fabrics this blue looked pretty dark, but now I think it's a little too light.

I'll be using a combination of fabric, applique, and embroidery for this project.  I hope to get some work done on it during Winter Break, which starts next Friday!  I'll have 10 glorious days to relax and catch up on a few projects that have been tossed aside during Christmas crafting.  I can't wait!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.