Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sewaholic Minoru Muslin

My Minoru muslin went together so quickly! I worked on it during this week's sewing class and had it mostly finished before I left. I had trouble zig-zagging the waist elastic on, so I pinned it in. This didn't really give the same effect as it would have if it were sewn in, but just know that the waist is going to be cinched in on the finished jacket. I also only sewed on one sleeve cuff.

IMG_5111

The only thing I needed to change for the fit was to move the elastic waist band up about a quarter of an inch so it sat at my natural waist. Otherwise, I'm good to start work on the real deal!

This week I added a new accessory to my sewing corner: safety glasses! I know a lot of you might be thinking I'm nuts, but give me a minute. I am somewhat of a clutz. Remember my visit to the ER last August when I accidentally sewed my finger? On more than one occasion I have managed to break a needle and it ends up flying the through the air and pieces of it hit me in the face. This happened last week at the Serger Workshop and my mom suggested (or more like strongly insisted) that I start sewing with a pair of protective goggles. There was no way that I was going to wear goggles while sewing, but I agreed that I needed some sort of protection. I took to the interwebs to find a cheap pair of fake glasses and the only ones I could find that were reasonably priced were these hipster frames. They were only $2. The rest of the fake glasses that I found were around $40. So I ordered the hipster frames.

How conflicting is my look here? Part hipster, part Gap customer.

IMG_5102

The only thing I can think of when I see these glasses is Brenda in Adventures in Babysitting.

Image Source

HA! The good news is that the glasses are light and comfortable and after a while I forget that I'm wearing them. I'm not entirely foreign to glasses wearing though. Before I got my eyes lasered in 2006, I had to wear contacts or glasses daily. I definitely want to protect my eyes from flying needles—they cost me a lot of money! Do you think protective glasses will become all the rage for sewists or am I just nuts?

12 comments:

  1. Your Minoru is looking really good. I like hearing that the jacket comes together easily because I'm a bit intimidated by it.

    And that Brenda photo almost made me spit out my coffee! Gawd, I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to title this post "Get out of my house" (in reference to the Brenda screen shot) but I thought it might be a little obscure!

      Delete
  2. Your Minoru is going to be fabulous! As for the protective glasses, I’ve never really thought about it. I wear glasses when I sew because otherwise I can’t see (!) but perhaps it makes sense to wear them as protective gear – a flying needle could really cause some damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing my finger was bad enough. I can't imagine what a needle in the eye would feel like! I'm calling this better to be safe than sorry.

      Delete
  3. Your new glasses are kind of awesome. You'd fit right in with the Williamsburg crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I think they would turn on me though because I don't thoughtfully pick out my outfits and accessories each day, while trying to make it seem like I don't thoughtfully pick out my outfits and accessories.

      Delete
  4. Eek, your Minoru looks great! I want one!!!!! You will look totally cool in your Minoru and your new glasses. ;) I need protective footwear-- I've already stepped on a pin TWICE since I started sewing. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend the Minoru! It was MUCH easier to put together than the Amy Butler Runaway Jacket that I made last spring. And ouch! I've thankfully never stepped on a pin. Probably because my sewing space is directly in a draft from our front door and I'm always wearing slippers!

      Delete
  5. Hurray on your Minoru! I'm loving mine and really want to be done...but I'm staying with the sew along pace as best I can. I wear glasses when I sew but if not, would probably wear safety glasses. There are nice ones at home improvement stores-really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see your Minoru! I cut the fabric and lining pieces out last night and plan on working on it during sewing class tonight. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with the sew along pace or not. We'll see how much I get done tonight and this weekend!

      Delete
    2. It goes super fast. You could make it in 1-2 sessions, not counting cutting. I am going to make another in a floral, just because. :-) My rust colored corduroy is nice, but oh so safe.

      Delete
    3. Nice! The Minoru would look great in floral. Although I have a weakness for floral coats since I made one last year: http://lindsaypinds.blogspot.com/2011/06/runabout-jacket-finally-finished.html.

      I got to wear it a few weeks ago during a weird warm spell and it was awesome!

      Delete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.