Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dinner Party!

Nick and I had some friends over for a delicious feast on Monday night.  These friends nicely loaned us their house in Guatemala for our honeymoon, so we wanted to make something extra delicious.  Since we were working all day Monday and it was a “school night” for us, we spent Sunday preparing the dinner and dessert. In the course of 5 hours, I baked chocolate chip cookies, made the famous O’Neil ice cream, made spaghetti sauce, and baked a roasted vegetable lasagna. 

The great thing about lasagna is that you can prepare it in advance and, as it waits to be eaten, the flavors will meld together nicely and it’ll taste even better than it would have if served immediately.  I used the Joy of Cooking recipe using my own spaghetti sauce, which calls for 45 minutes of baking (30 minutes covered in aluminum foil and 15 minutes uncovered). I simply baked the lasagna for 30 minutes on Sunday and then baked it for another 45 minutes on Monday so it would finish baking and also be nice at hot to serve.  The original recipe calls for only an additional 15 minutes of uncovered baking, but since the lasagna was cold from being in the fridge all night, it needed some extra time to get all gooey and delicious.

The recipe includes roasted eggplant and zucchini, which adds a nice depth to the lasagna.

Eggplant and Zucchini

Eggplant and Zucchini

I roasted these a tad too long and some of them got too crispy to use. No worries though as there was more than enough to fill out the layers.

Roasted Eggplant and Zucchini

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

The only time our dining table ever sees anything besides my sewing machine is when we have dinner guests over. We actually sit at the table to eat!  I made pretty placemats and napkins last year which brighten up the table nicely. And they go so well with our dishes!

Dinner Table

After dinner I served the ice cream in my vintage ice cream bowls while we showed them our photo slideshow from our Great Western Adventure. Ice cream is so simple to make I can’t believe I don’t make it more. I have vowed that the next time I make chocolate chip cookies, I will make a batch of cookie dough ice cream!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Homemade Ice Cream

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.