Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Curtains: Mission Accomplished

Finally the curtains are finished!  Don't they look glorious?

I ran into some mathematical issues on Sunday so I had to wait until last night to finish them.  Who knew it would take so much math to make these suckers?

If I had to do it again, I'd make the tabs slightly shorter and closer together.  Other than that, I'm pretty happy with them!  There are two 76 inch panels.  I had to piece together each panel since the fabric wasn't as wide as I thought it would be (it would have helped to check this out beforehand).  The pieces don't even remotely match up, but I don't think you can notice unless you're scrutinizing them.  And who's going to be doing that?  The panels slide along the curtain rod easily so it won't be a chore to open them like the paper blinds we had up before.  We never opened them because they were so annoying to fold up.  Now we will be basking in the morning sun that shines in the front of our house. 

I used Diana Rupp's Sew Everything Workshop for the basic pattern and instructions, but since our windows are sliders the measurements are way different than any curtain pattern that I've encountered.  Some of the mathematical information in this book is off (specifically, the equation to figure out how many tabs you need and the information about how much extra fabric you need for the different sized hems).  I ended up cutting off about 6 inches of unnecessary fabric because of this.  

They look great when open too!

My next curtain project will be curtains for our bedroom, but I think I'll give myself some time to get over the frustration from these guys.  At least I learned a few good lessons to apply in the future.  For now I'm going to get back to focusing on the Crepe dress!


Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.