Monday, February 7, 2011

Fleisher Art Memorial Print Love-In

Yesterday my pal Mo, one of her pals, and I checked out Fleisher Art Memorial's Print Love-In.  They set up a bunch of printmaking stations and you make Valentine's Day cards with designs created by Philadelphia artists.  It was so fun!  I had never done silkscreening and lithograph printing before, but it was actually pretty easy once you got the hang of it.  Using the wooden and linoleum blocks took me back to 7th grade art class.  We were given homework to bring in a picture of a celebrity, which I apparently completely forgot to do until we got to art class.  I frantically paged through the piles of magazines that our teacher had out, knowing that we would forget to bring in a picture.  Not knowing that we would be doing anything with this picture besides drawing, I, of course, chose Tanya Harding's sad face People magazine cover. I can't believe I found the exact picture!  We transferred the images onto a linoleum tile and I created a print of her and then stamped her face into clay to make a bowl, which is now referred to as the Tanya bowl.  That bowl is still displayed in our house.  My pal and tablemate carved Nancy Kerrigan and made a matching bowl.  True story.

Once I got home from our "big game" party last night, I spread out all of the prints and wondered what I was going to do with all of them.  I could write out cards for all of my friends and family, but then I remembered reading about Etsy's Special Delivery: Share Your Love 2011, where you send homemade Valentine's Day cards to Etsy, who distributes them to NYC elderly through Citymeals-on-Wheels.  After setting a few of my favorites aside, I wrote a V-Day note on the prints to be sent off to Brooklyn.

Here are the prints that I'm sending to Citymeals-on-Wheels.


And here are the prints that I'm keeping for myself to make cards out of. 


I saved the little girl in purple because it looks exactly like me as a kid.  Kinda scary. 

1 comment:

  1. yes! what a good idea. maybe i will do the same with some of my prints... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.