Sunday, September 11, 2016

Pretty Sewing Supply Storage

This train case was an impulse project after I stabbed myself once too many times on pins while reaching into my sewing supplies zipper pouch. I've only made a handful of bags over the years, so initially the Sew Sweetness Crimson & Clover Train Case was a little intimidating. But, with my seam ripper handy, I decided to tackle it one step at a time and it wasn't so bad at all! And no, I can't even look at this thing without getting "A Praise Chorus" in my head.

Sew Sweetness Crimson & Clover Train Case

This train case was the most complicated "bag" that I've sewn so far, but, like all of Sara's patterns, it's broken up into short logical steps that are easy to follow. I even made my own piping for the first time, something I thought would be fiddly and hard but turned out to be super easy, especially with the use of my Bernina piping foot (I used foot #12, but you could also use foot #38).

Sew Sweetness Crimson & Clover Train Case

Construction got a little nerve wracking toward the end when there were many layers to sew through, but I took my time and sewed slowly and carefully and it all worked out. I dipped into my Lizzy House stash since the case would be sitting alongside my sewing machine for the foreseeable future and I wanted the fabric to be something beautiful that I loved. The finished case has a zipper pocket in the top flap and smaller pockets all along the edges of the lower half. It fits my everyday sewing tools perfectly with room to spare!

Sew Sweetness Crimson & Clover Train Case

Around this time I also made sheaths for my scissors using A Threaded Mess' 30-Minute Scissor Keeper pattern. My Gingher scissors came with a black plastic sheath, but my other scissors have been floating around in my zipper pouch just waiting to stab me or bust through the pouch fabric. Since I was getting my tools organized, I decided to make pretty sheaths for all of my scissors and avoid a scissor incident before it occurred.

I raided my scrap bins for these and easily found enough to cover two large and one medium size scissor keepers. Mine took a little longer than 30 minutes each, but mostly because I was piecing together small scraps and then I quilted them to get a little fancy. The pattern calls for a small piece of cardboard to be inserted at the tip of the sheath so the points of your scissors don't poke through. I used pieces of a cereal box: it's just sturdy enough for the added protection but not so stiff that it's hard to maneuver into place. I gladly threw that sad black plastic sheath in the recycling when I was finished!

Scissor Keepers

Hurray for pretty sewing storage! Why do I feel like this is going to be a slippery slope and lead to me finally replacing the standard red sewing machine cover that came with Pippi to something more pretty?

1 comment:

  1. DO IT! Sewing machine covers rock! Cereal cardboard is genius. Your scrappy scissor keeps are perfection - that rice print is so great. I've also found it's worth it to use fabric I love for projects I'll be using a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.