This is the second jacket I have made so far and I'm just as pleased with this one as I was with my Amy Butler Runabout Jacket. I feel like the Minoru was easier to make than the Runabout, but maybe it's just that I have another year of sewing under my belt and I wasn't as nervous that I would mess something up. Actually, the Runabout was the first wearable garment that I ever made! It's funny how much can happen in a year.
I used cotton twill for the outside, quilting cotton for the lining, and a slippery lining fabric for the sleeve lining. I am so pleased with the fit. I cut out a size 6 and I didn't have to make any adjustments to the pattern except for move the elastic up about a half inch so it hit at my natural waist. Oh, and I added pockets using the tutorial on Sew Well. The pockets don't stick out like this normally, I just opened it up a bit so you could see the pretty lining!
This project involved a couple of techniques that I have never done before. It is my first garment made with raglan sleeves and my first garment that needed a casing for an elastic band (I'm counting this as a different technique than the elastic waistband that I made on my first try for a Black History Month outfit).
One bonus that I noticed today is that the sleeves are long enough that they still cover my entire arm plus the bottom of my hands while driving. A lot of my jackets ride up my wrists while driving, so it was nice that the cuffs on my Minoru pretty much stayed in place.
I also really like the effect of the elastic band around the waist. It really makes the jacket super flattering.
I'm a little disappointed that I didn't line the hood because I think the lining fabric would really make it pop. I decided early on not to line the hood because I thought it would be too thick while tucked inside the collar. I'm pretty sure I am right that it would have been too thick, so that makes me feel better about it.
I love how you can see the faintest hint of the lining near the zipper on the collar.
And of course I love the pop of color on the inside of the jacket. Plus, hidden pockets!
Next up is Simplicity 2215, a Cynthia Rowley design. I'll be making view C, the skirt. So far, the muslin is going together quickly, so hopefully this will be a quick project. I need a quick one after my last few larger undertakings. I really like the dress for this pattern too, so if the skirt sews up super quickly, maybe the dress view is in order too!