Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Put a Bird On It

This was the second year that Nick and I made hearts for the Hearts and STARS fundraiser and our third year attending. Our pals Lauren and Keeva were running the show this year! Even though I had my idea for my heart well before the new year, I somehow managed to wait a mere week before the hearts were due to start it. Thankfully we both finished our hearts on time.

The fundraiser takes place in a really cool space in Trenton called Art Works. It's so much fun seeing something that you made being displayed on a gallery wall! I took inspiration from the hilarious Portlandia and made mine pretty by putting a bird on it. It's the Eastern Goldfinch, the state bird of New Jersey.

005

Nick took inspiration from the Trenton Battle Monument. His included a silhouette of the monument and an excerpt from the quote that is displayed at its base. The colonial secretary of state for King George III, Lord Germain, told Parliament three years after the battle: "All our hopes were blasted by that unhappy affair at Trenton." Sorry, Brits!

nicksheart

We each raised $30 for our hearts, making our grand total the same as last year. I was really hoping to beat Nick this year since he beat me last year, but at least I increased the amount that someone bid on mine.

We didn't get to stick around too long for the after party this year because I had to rush home and finish MaMotts' quilt. Hearts and STARS is always a good time, so if you're in the area, consider checking it out next year. It's always in the beginning of February and supports a really great cause!

  008

And look what Nick made me for Valentine's Day!

My Valentine's Day Card from Nick!

For those of you who don't know (which is probably most of you), Nick and I met as teenagers working in the gift shops at Sesame Place, the Sesame Street themed amusement park in Langhorne, our hometown. Outside of the shop that we originally both worked at, there used to be a staircase with a giant Big Bird Head on top (it was once the start of an awesome bridge that used to wind through the park). It's hard to believe that was 12 years ago! Isn't he the best? Happy belated Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Love how the heart turned out! And Nick's valentine to you is too cute! It's cool that you're both so artistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! I was hoping to raise more than $30, but it didn't seem like there were that many Portlandia fans at the fundraiser. Next year!

      Delete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.