Friday, February 2, 2018

Make Nine 2018

An amazing thing happened this week: I tried on my pair of pre-pregnancy work pants and they fit! I don’t think I’ve lost weight recently, so it’s very possible that they have fit for awhile and I’ve just assumed that they didn’t because I haven’t been exercising. Ahhh the life of having two small children: exhausting.

This isn’t a random pat-myself-on-the-back story though. Pre-kids I enjoyed sewing my own clothes, but since my body was changing throughout and after the pregnancies, I didn’t think it was worth my precious sewing time to sew clothes that wouldn’t fit me once my body returns to “normal.” No, my body will never be the same as it was pre-kids and I’m totally OK with that, but I didn’t want to waste the time and money on sewing clothes while my body was in flux. It appears that my body has decided on what its shape is going to be for the time being, so you know what that means: time to break out the sewing patterns!

And such wonderful timing too because it’s not too late for me to declare my #makenine2018! I’m finally getting to use the patterns and fabric that I’ve been hoarding and itching to make for years. YEARS!


  1. Sewaholic Harwood dress: This one is kinda a cheat because I started sewing a beautiful Rifle Paper Co. print version last summer. It just needs to be finished.
  2. True Bias Hudson pants: I’m finally getting around to tackling everyone’s favorite lounge pant, in Lizzy House pearl bracelet knit, no less.
  3. Sewaholic Robson trench: Years ago (2013?) I made a muslin for this trench and took it apart to cut the real fabric and then I think I must have gotten pregnant and shoved it in a closet. In retrospect, this seems silly because I could have just worn it unbuttoned during my pregnancies. I’m going to sew the muslin back together to see if it still fits (fingers crossed!) and then get moving on this thing so I can have it for fall. I’ve been wearing the same corduroy trench for the last 15ish years and although I still love it, it has definitely seen better days.
  4. Greenstyle Creations Centerfield Raglan: I love a good baseball tee and this pattern is going to look lovely in Lizzy House Dino Exhibit knit. Remember when Hit Parade knits were released in 2016?
  5. Jennifer Lauren Handmade Juniper cardigan: The one garment I made last year, a black knit cardigan for work, was a flop and I think this cardigan is more my style. It looks super quick to sew, so I’m hoping to make more than one version.
  6. Closet Case Patterns Mid-Rise Flare Ginger Jeans: Yes, the holy grail of jeans sewing patterns. I shared on Instagram this week that I’ve been hoarding two pairs’ worth of US-produced Cone Mills denim, and having just bought another 2.5 yards, this must be the year I tackle these babies.
  7. Sewaholic Thurlow shorts: I used to be a Bermuda shorts lady, but shorter shorts are cooler and more comfortable, and honestly they are more flattering than Bermuda shorts. Let’s all get past this issue we have with our knees/thighs! It is much more fulfilling to run around and enjoy the summer than to worry about my legs no longer looking like they did when I was a teenager. I have exactly one other pair of shorts so this needs to happen before the summer.
  8. Fehr Trade Surf to Summit Rashguard x2: I had these planned for last summer’s shore trip, but I ran out of time and only got to sew rashguards for the kiddos (their lily-white skin is more important to protect at this point). Thankfully (?) it was unseasonably cool while we were there and I was comfortable wearing a tshirt for coverage. Isn’t it so nice that rashguards are now on trend so we pale folks don’t look silly lounging on the beach with a bunch of clothes on? I’m especially thankful that I might not have to battle with my kids to wear them, as my parents had to battle with me to wear tshirts over my swimsuit ALL. THE. TIME. I’m making my rashguards with the zip front and a half sleeve (in between short and long).
  9. Sewaholic Granville shirt: Now that I’m wearing pants to work again (seriously, I didn’t wear pants to work for at least two years—one of my co-workers even noted that she didn’t remember the last time she saw me not wearing a skirt or dress), I’m excited to make some button-downs. And once I get the fit right, I’ll probably make a casual version as well since my weekend wardrobe has turned into nothing but free tshirts and hoodies. It’s like I’m in college all over again!
Who knows if I’ll make it through all nine, but if I make even a few of these garments I’ll consider it a successful year. I’m just happy to be returning to land of garment sewing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.