Friday, January 26, 2018

Fancy Fox II Baby Quilt

After a Thanksgiving-to-Christmas-filled sewing frenzy to finish craft show merchandise, a late housewarming gift, four lap-size charity quilts, and a table runner for my quilt guild gift exchange, I was looking forward to an easy make with the Fancy Fox II quilt by Elizabeth Hartman. This top comes together SO FAST! I cut all of the fabric one night and sewed it up in about two hours the next. Easy peasy.

IMG_3978

I've been in a self-induced stash busting mindset for the past few projects, and even though I didn't purchase any new fabric, I am really happy with the combinations I discovered after digging through my bins for a half hour. This pattern was a slight challenge to find fabric in my stash, as the background fabric calls for 1/2 yard each, whereas my stash is mostly leftover fabric from other projects and tons upon tons of fat quarters that I got for free through my guild last year. (Seriously, we got TONS: one of my guild mates estimated that we each got 40 yards of fat quarters. Then at our next two meetings we also were gifted yardagewhere I walked away with an entire bolt of cat fabric. I am flush with fabric!)

The nursery is a woodland theme, which might lead you to question my use of the Lizzy House whale print, but I liked the color combination and it was the only fabric I had enough of in that color. I used this same print on the backside of a cape I made for my daughter last year, and upon seeing the quilt, she was very concerned that I cannibalized said cape to make the quilt. It was very cute. I explained that mommy has all sorts of fabric, and a ton of that whale print for unknown reasons. It served as a good illustration for why mommy has commandeered her entire closet with sewing supplies.

For the back, I used a light blue broadcloth that I think I initially purchased to make some mod mosaic floor pillows. After what has probably been 8 years, I was comfortable with finally throwing in the towel. At least I was keeping it in the family and using it for another Elizabeth Hartman project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.