Sunday, May 12, 2013

Germania Renfrew and Floral Miette

I thought I'd be posting the black work skirt that I've been working on for forever (ugh), but instead I have two very quick projects to show you.

First up, I finally made a Renfrew! This was so fast and easy to put together, but I think I didn't choose a knit with enough stretch because when I'm not sitting perfectly still I get some pulling in the chest. That is something I never ever thought I would say! I really like the fit around the waist and the hips, which looks a lot nicer in person than in this picture. Let me just say right now that these are not my best pictures as they were both taken in a hurry before dinner reservations.

The knit is a Jay McCaroll print from the Germania line that I bought ages ago. On my next Renfrew I think I'm going to just sew the sleeves  and upper bodice with a slightly smaller seam allowance to give myself a little more room. And also use a stretchier knit. I am impressed with how straight I got the stripes on the print to line up. This was the first time that I've dealt with stripes!

Sewaholic Renfrew

Next up is my first of what I think will be a few Miettes (I already have one ready to be cut). I love this pattern from Tilly. It took me a mere few hours to complete and the shape is super flattering. I love how much overlap there is in the back of the skirt, making it less likely that my skirt will fly open while walking down the street.

Floral Miette

I did, however, learn one lesson while making this skirt: do not cut fabric on a Friday night after work. Notice anything about this pattern? That's right, the butterflies are upside down! I half feel like I wasted this gorgeous Anna Maria Horner print, but I'm wearing this baby anyway. Most people won't notice anyway, right?

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back and sewing! I don't think anyone will notice the print-- I never would have! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoyed those quick projects but I think I'm finally ready to tackle something more substantial. Perhaps the Sewaholic Robson!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the choice of fabric, and the kamikaze butterflies are a "design feature" if anyone asks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, what an honor! Thank you! So far no one has noticed the butterflies snafu, or at least they have been kind enough to not mention it. I have a second Miette in the works right now. I'm excited to see what you release next!

      Delete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.