Sunday, February 10, 2013

Maximon Embroidery

I finished another embroidery for our embroidery wall! This one is of Maximon, a Mayan folk saint of the people of Guatemala.

Before our trip, we were told that upon arriving in Santiago, a small child would approach us and ask us if we would like to be taken to see Maximon. Our response should be yes! The Maximon figure is passed between houses throughout the year and the local custom is that tourists pay the children to take them to see him, where you give a small offering in exchange for a picture. 

I kept the embroidery pretty simple because I thought it would just get muddied if I included the textures of the scarves.

Maximon Embroidery

I think it captures the essence of Maximon without getting distracting. We only need a few more finished before we can start hanging them up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.