Sunday, May 6, 2012

We Killed It!

This morning was the 2012 Broad Street Run and Nick and I pretty much killed it. We ran the 10-miler in 1 hour and 45 minutes, which is 10 whole minutes faster than last year!

2012 Broad Street Run Medal

This year's registration sold out in 5 hours (for 30,000 runners) so they opened up 10,000 more slots in a lottery system. Because of this, the race was noticeably more crowded this year. Usually the runners thin out after the first half mile, but the crowd was pretty packed for the entire 10 miles, especially at the end. And the traffic getting out of the stadium area was absolutely nuts. Thankfully my awesome mom and sister drove us down again, so neither of us had to be at the wheel in that madness.

I am so proud of our time! I think this will probably be our last year running, so it was nice to have such great results.

After lunch and a delightful nap, because I am crazy, I took to our garden and planted the rest of our crops! Here are our tomatoes, red onions (the grassy things), and garlic (in between the onions and the tomato plant on the right).

This planter used to house a whole bunch of hostas, one of my very least favorite plants (the previous owner apparently loved them). We pulled out the actual plants in the fall, but there were a million roots left over. I spent a good 45 minutes digging through it to get them all out! Between that and running 10 miles this morning, I hope I'll be able to walk tomorrow.

Tomatoes, Red Onions, and Garlic

My one concern with our garden is that I'm not quite sure how to maintain the plants once they start growing. Does anyone have any good resources for that sort of thing? Basically I need very specific guidelines about how to cut the leaves/veggies off of the plant when they are ready to eat. I look forward to that day!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was quite sore yesterday and today, but it was worth it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! That is awesome!
    Sorry I can't help with the plants, I have a black thumb. Search pinterest, I keep seeing lots of pins about gardenig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome finishing time! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are still quite pleased with our performance. Now we're going to focus on getting down our 5k time.

      Delete

I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.