Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chambray Colette Ginger Skirt

Here she is, my Ginger skirt!

She took way longer than I expected to complete, mostly because I didn’t have as much time to work on her as I wanted.  The Ginger was pretty easy to put together, but again I struggled because I chose a fabric that looked the same on the right and wrong sides.  I somehow managed to mix up what side was what for the waistband, which delayed construction a bit.  I’m still not entirely sure that I got it right, but the skirt looks nice so I’m not going to worry about it anymore.

When I made up the muslin, the hips seemed a wee bit too tight, so I used a French curve to slightly grade out the hip area by borrowing from the inch seam allowance that I was using.  When I tried on the skirt after it was all put together except for the hem, I thought the fit was pretty good.  It seemed a tad too big, but I figured only I could tell because I saw it when it was a tad too tight.  So I proceeded to hem the skirt.  When I tried on the finished product, it was obviously too big.  Instead of taking out the entire hem, I took out the hem around the side seams and then pinched in the excess from the side seams.  I probably ended up taking out as much as I added in.  Good times.  I think the finished product looks pretty awesome!

And check out the inside, which looks just as pretty as the outside thanks to Mr. Nilsson. 

Mr. Nilsson threw a wrench in things early on in the construction process when I accidentally broke one of his needles, didn’t realize it, and then continued to serge the front panel seam.  When I went to press the seam open, I was puzzled as to why there were perfectly incremented pulls all of the way down the seam.  Apparently that’s what a broken needle will do to chambray!  Thankfully I had enough extra fabric to cut the two front panels again.  I am so glad that I cashed in all of my credit card points to buy Mr. Nilsson.

The shirt that I had planned on wearing with the Ginger didn’t work out because its button-down front was a little bulky under the high waistband.  I was forced to wear this white tank to work, but since it has spaghetti straps I had to wear a black cardigan over it.  I must say that the Ginger is super comfortable.  I survived a day at work without it feeling tight or restricting, including a long walk to eat lunch at Bobby's Burger Palace (I highly recommend the Crunchburger and a black and white milkshake if you find yourself in University City).  I was surprised at how good the skirt looked after a full day of wear and train riding.  I purposely didn't iron her before we took pictures when I got home from work and there was only mild wrinkling from sitting down.  Bonus!

I definitely need to invest in a different top to go with this skirt.  I’m just going to have to whip up a Pendrell!  I’m thinking a sleeveless version this time (not to mention the correct size too).  What color do you think I should use?

I’m thrilled that I've been finishing all of the projects that I’ve been working on.  Next up is my Crescent skirt!


  1. Oh, looks lovely. The fidgetting with side seams and hem may have been a pain but think about how much wear you'll get of this lovely skirt.

  2. Thanks! Whenever stuff like that happens I have to give myself a pep talk about how much time I've already invested in the skirt so it wouldn't make sense for me to not fix a known problem just because I want to be done with it. You're right: I will get a lot of wear out of this skirt, just as soon as I have some tops to wear with it! :)

  3. Super, super cute!! It looks great on you!!


I love to receive your comments and try to respond to all via email.